Monday, December 7, 2015

Family History

A couple of years ago, I started to do family history work. Before that, I never thought that I could do family history. I guess I just never imagined that I could figure it out or that there would be any work left for me to do or any more people for me to find. Well, when I started my tree, I found out that there was actually a lot of work to be done! I also discovered that it was much easier than I thought it would be. 
I found out that genealogy was fun and easy. The reason I started to do family history was because I had been told many times throughout my life by church leaders that it was a commandment. Why is it so emphasized? The answer is that it is how we can seal our ancestors to us so that we can all be exalted and live together forever with God. Not only is family history interesting and fulfilling, it is helping to bring more children into His fold. 
There is a primary song that talks about the hearts of the children turning towards their fathers. They call it the truth from Elijah. Elijah was an Old Testament prophet who was in charge of restoring the sealing keys to the Church in the latter days. It makes sense that we call the excitement for genealogy the spirit of Elijah. We could also call it the spirit of sealing. 
We are responsible for our ancestors. They're waiting for us to discover them and to do their saving ordinances. I never got to be a missionary because I got married before I had the chance. When I do family history and then take names to the temple to do their work, I really feel like I am being a missionary. 
There is a very special spirit that I feel when I do family history. For one thing, I feel like I'm unfolding parts of myself. Before family history, I didn't know that I had such deep roots here in Oregon. My mother's ancestors crossed the plains on the Oregon Trail and apparently settled here. Knowing that gives me a certain pride and a sense of belonging. My father's ancestors crossed the plains on the Mormon Trail and settled Utah. I also feel a sense of belonging when I'm there and pride when I read about their stories.
Another reason I like family history is the satisfaction of solving a puzzle. When you've been looking for a certain piece of information and you finally find it, it's like you just completed a 5,000 piece puzzle by yourself. It's exciting and fulfilling. 
I also feel the Spirit when I do family history work. There is a great feeling of peace that I have when I spend my time in that way. I know that I'm doing the right thing. I know that family history is the Lord's work. I know that when I find names to take to the temple that Heavenly Father is pleased with me. I know that if you try family history, you will feel the same peace that I do. If you don't, pray for help to feel the spirit of Elijah. All things are possible through Jesus Christ! In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

Here is a picture of a beloved ancestor of mine who knew the prophet Joseph Smith very well. He's my great-great-great grandfather. He left a wonderful legacy of faith. His name is John S. Fullmer.

Here's a picture of my great grandmother named Margaret Rachel Thomas. She was not a member of the Church, but by all accounts was a wonderful mother who taught her kids how to be excellent people, and she was an amazing cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment