Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Eternal Family

One thing that I was actually pretty surprised to learn this semester is that the family is the absolute most important thing in our entire existence. If you really think about it, you'll see what I mean. Heavenly Father wanted us to be able to become like Him. Why? So that we can have eternal families like He does! When Eve partook of the fruit in the Garden of Eden and Adam chose to stay with her by also partaking of the fruit, they made it possible for them to have their own eternal families. Since Adam and Eve fell, Heavenly Father provided a Savior for us to be able to return to Him. Our savior, Jesus the Christ, atoned for our sins so that we can become like God by having eternal families. 
I always knew that families were really important because the ancient and modern prophets emphasize that. But it never really occurred to me that families are the most important thing about being. When you think of it that way, it really makes sense that we are told that marriage is the single most important decision we will make in this lifetime. And that means that having children is not just a milestone that you may or may not choose to have as part of your life, depending on whether you like kids or not. Having children and getting married is a sacred and serious commandment from God that is of utmost eternal significance. That is the whole reason we are here with bodies. 
I am so glad that I am taking this religion class because otherwise it may have taken me much longer to truly realize what the most important thing is.
You can also say that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the most important thing, but that's the same thing, isn't it? The Atonement exists because Heavenly Father loves us enough that He wants us to become like Him and has provided the way for us to do that by sacrificing His Only Begotten Son. 
I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of us all. I know that if we choose the right and keep the commandments, that we will be able to live with our families for all eternity. I know that having a family will be the most important thing I do in this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment