Sunday, December 6, 2015

How can I show more love in my family?

This is something that I've been thinking a lot about over the past three weeks. In my religion class, we had the assignment to use the "5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman to show more love for our family members. I had each of them take the test on the website so that I could know what their primary love languages were. I was a bit surprised by the results! My husband's language was acts of service. My heart sank a little bit because I knew that I hadn't been doing very much for him in that area. So I've been making a marked effort to try and become better at this so that he can feel more loved by me. My mom's love language was also acts of service. Again, I realized how short I've fallen. And again, I've tried to be more helpful to her so that she knows I really do love her. My dad had a tie between physical touch and quality time. That made sense to me because he said that he really appreciates when I pat his shoulder if he looks like he's depressed. And he always loves it when we spend some quality time together talking about stuff or just petting the animals together. My younger brother had the love language of quality time, as well. I didn't know this about him, but it also makes sense. Luckily, that's what he and I do best! I tried to make sure I made some time to be available for him to show him that I care. I have a long way to go, I think, but knowing their love languages has helped be become a little less selfish. At least I hope it has. It has also helped me to recognize the way that they are showing love toward me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment